Friday, June 6, 2008

Kelly's Leader Letter

Hello Tripees!

Wow, when did it get to be June? The recent weeks have blown by in a gust of twelve-hour workdays, sweeps week evenings, and Saturdays spent slowly accumulating my trip gear and a (barely) passable base tan on the beaches of Los Angeles. Earlier today I flipped open my calendar and realized I would be heading back to New Hampshire for leader training in a mere five days! The excitement of my second Windsor Mountain trip finally landed (along with the realization that I have a lot of laundry, cleaning, and packing to do this weekend.)

I grew up in Denver, Colorado, where I spent my youth hiking in the Rocky Mountains, skiing world-class mountains, and going on bike trips through the desert southwest. I was the bane of my mother’s housekeeping abilities, as I was constantly working on new crafts and projects, and leaving my masterpieces (and messes) scattered about every room in the house.

Between my junior and senior year in high school I discovered an amazing program that would allow me spend the summer studying theatre and traveling around Europe. I jumped on the chance to go, thus beginning my love-love relationship with Windsor Mountain, and my addiction to travel, exploration, and adventures (I think this is what Adam calls “itchy feet.” Glad to finally have an official diagnoses, because I’ve been putting off seeing the doctor for years.) This year marks my second summer at Windsor Mountain, and my first as a leader. I am thrilled to share this amazing experience with you!

I spent my undergraduate years at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, where I majored in Film and Television Studies, Modified (with philosophy, sociology, psychology, and theatre.) When not in class, I was a member of the improv comedy troupe, Casual Thursday, and a competitor on the nationally ranked Dartmouth Figure Skating Team.

For the past three years I have been living, teaching, tutoring, writing, working weird jobs, and accumulating “Hollywood” stories in Los Angeles, California (between adventures, of course.) I recently optioned my first screenplay, and this fall I will begin working towards my Masters degree in writing at the University of Southern California.

As the weeks, days, hours, and minutes count down to our departure, I’m sure you’re becoming more and more anxious and excited. As Adam mentioned, it would be fantastic if you could start thinking of ideas for our summer camp. Additionally, one of the important aspects of a Windsor Mountain trip is group living – we will all be taking care of each other this summer, including chores and cooking. If you could each find, practice, and learn at least one delicious recipe to share with the group before July, our taste buds will thank you!

Finally, I have the pleasure of telling you that our trip has been selected by Windsor Mountain to create a special project – a video blog (vlog?) documenting our time in the Caribbean! You will all be responsible for planning, shooting, and editing short videos/documentaries/dramas/comedies/etc about our adventures. We will be posting our videos online at http://bridgecaribbean2008.blogspot.com/ (bookmark it so your parents can find it easily!) Adam and I will also be using this site to bring you pre-trip updates, so check early and check often!


The memories from my first Windsor Mountain summer (as a student) are fresh in my mind. Eight years later I am still in touch with every single member of my trip. Each and every one of them is doing something unique and interesting with their lives, from studying Shakespeare in London, volunteering in Patagonia, working for women’s rights in the Ukraine, juggling professionally, and interning at Rolling Stone magazine.

This summer you will meet a group of diversely amazing young people, face and overcome extreme challenges, and grow into the person you will become. Are you excited yet?!


Most amiably, sincerely, and long-windedly yours,


Kelly Morr

No comments: